Orginally published on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 7:59 AM
by Todd Rhoades
I'm getting emails asking me to weigh in on the whole Rick Warren recent Prop 8 controversy. First... here's the big stink, cut down to 37 seconds:
OK... here are some of my thoughts...
1. I’m glad I’m not Rick Warren.
2. I’m glad that my every word isn’t put on video tape.
3. I’m glad that I don’t have to deal with media.
4. Do I think Rick contradicted himself? Uh… yeah, if you look at the tape (and only the parts of the tape that everyone is looking at, which is what the media gives us). Whenever you have to say, “what I meant to say” about something that you’ve already had to say “what I meant to say” about, it’s not good.
5. Why the Larry King thing in the first place? Let’s face it, Rick took some good heat for his stance on Prop 8, and the whole inauguration prayer thing, but most of that controversy had passed. Rick’s Larry King Live statements about Prop 8 only re-ignited the fire, especially because of the apparent contradiction.
6. The problem was only made worse when Rick canceled appearances on the Mike Huckabee show and ABC’s Sunday news program because of exhaustion (caused in part by breathing the fumes from a refurbished pulpit that hadn’t yet dried).
7. I’m glad I’m not Rick Warren.
I like Rick. I think he’s a great guy and has done much for Christianity and for all of our churches. I fear though, that Rick is getting so much pressure to please everyone that it is nearly impossible for him to come across good in the media. Someone will always be ticked.
What are your thoughts?
This post has been viewed 624 times so far.
There are 7 Comments: